MEWAH Recipe : Classic Pad Thai
- 1 Packet of any MEWAH Rice Noodle flavours
- 1/4 cup (50 g) palm sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fish sauce
- 1/4 cup (55 g) tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 oz (170 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon pickled turnip, optional
- 1 egg
- 4 oz (110 g) tofu, cubed, optional
- 1/2 bunch green onion, or chinese chives, sliced, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup (50 g) bean sprout, plus more for serving
- Lime, for serving
- Peanuts, for serving
- Red thai chile, diced, for serving, optional
- Soak MEWAH rice noodles in room temperature water 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together palm sugar, tamarind paste, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and reduce for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- Heat a cast-iron pan or wok over high heat.
- Add oil and chicken and cook for about two minutes until nearly cooked through and nicely seared on all sides.
- Add minced garlic, shallots, and turnips to the chicken and stir to incorporate.
- Move the chicken to the side of the pan and add the egg. Break the egg up with a spatula or wooden spoon and stir to scramble.
- Add soaked rice noodles and stir to evenly incorporate all ingredients, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the reduced sauce and stir.
- Add tofu, Chinese chives or green onions, and bean sprouts. Stir to incorporate and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with lime, peanuts, more sprouts and chives, and red chiles, if desired.